Please note that the rules can change at any moment without prior notice. We will send updates to UnisaGroupsChannel as they are finalized
Be Proactive! Do your research before asking, and help where you can, and drive discussions
- Many questions can be answered by reading Tutorial letters / going to UNISAs website / doing a search on google
- If you have something that can benefit a fellow student, rather share it in the Group than sending a Direct Message
- Some groups are quite, encourage people to participate
- Some groups are busy (as long as its module related, that's good right?)
Groups are not be joined to invite people to other groups / platforms (eg: WhatsApp)
- This also applies to you leaving your credentials (posting your number in a group). This is a serious security concern, and it reduces the activity in the groups. Thus can result in a ban - potentially without prior warning
- Example 1: Joining ABC1234 and giving a link to "My random chat group "People sharing WhatsApp links are assumed to be trying to undermine the student ecosystem we have created, do not!
- Example 2: Asking in a group if a anyone can add you to a WhatsApp group
- Example 3: Sending a message with only your phone number
- Example 4: Sending a message asking to be added to a WhatsApp group
Basically any action that will result in being added to a different platform.
We do not prohibit you from using Telegram and WhatsApp. Find the WhatsApp groups using different methods (this is the main issue here), not using Telegram.
No spam allowed
Spam in this context will be defined as ANYTHING not directly topic related or not academic. For example:
- Chain messages ("SEND THIS TO 5 GROUPS")
- Advertisements ("CHECK OUT MY ...", "I am selling...")
- "Tutors" who sell exam packs or assignment solutions will not be tolerated
- Upstanding tutors are an exception to the advertising rule
- Please contact an admin in the lounge or using the bot (with the /admin command) if you are unsure
Speak English only
Your degree is in English. Only Modules where you are learning a different language are excluded from this rule, in the sense that you can also speak the language being learned
Academic groups are for academic things
Having discussions about religion, politics, humour, etc in the academic groups will be treated as spam
Keep personal arguments and insults out of the groups
- If you have a problem with someone, sort it out in private
- Do not make trouble or make indirect statements that undermine fellow group members or actions of the admins
- Be respectful of your fellow students, making sexual comments / comments that makes a fellow student uncomfortable will not be tolerated. This is not a dating platform.
Breaking the rules
- Will usually get you a warning, 3 warnings and you get a ban (from all the groups). If the transgression is worse, you can be banned with less warnings / no warning.
- Depending on your transgressions, this might be a ban from just one group or from all groups. Please don’t force us to do this!
The Admins reserve the right to remove any member at their own discretion
- If you have any questions, please do not start a public discussion, but rather ask in the lounge to get in touch with an admin or using the bot (with the /admin command)
- If you want to invite someone else to the group, ask them to use the bot
We do not condone the sharing of copyrighted materials and any students doing so are doing it at their own risk
- In order to attain access to the google drives repositories, you MUST be an active member of the particular academic Telegram group
The role of admins
- There are about 4000 groups, and we have a small handful of active admins. The role of the admin is to maintain order. Not to be a subject matter expert. The admins are also fellow students. As it is a Student Community, founded by students, and run by students, none of the admins are employed by UNISA.
- There are some admins, who grow groups, encourage collaboration and are experts in a subject. This is not a role of the admin, however they are being a great example.
Why no WhatsApp
This very community used to be run in WhatsApp, and over time the admins came aware of a few limitations:
- WhatsApp: Groups are limited to 255 members
Telegram: Has a limit of 75,000 members
- WhatsApp: No access to chat history
Telegram: you can see chat history
- WhatsApp: Have to repeatedly ask people to "please share ..."
Telegram: All files shared before you joined are available
- WhatsApp: Limited Security, not possible/difficult to ban a user in all groups
Telegram: Better security for the groups. Rogue elements can be removed and banned from all the groups
- WhatsApp: Sharing your personal number - spam SMSs & unwanted calls
Telegram: Better security for you, no need to share your phone number
- WhatsApp: You have to wait for people to add you to groups... eventually
Telegram: We have a bot, that you can use to search and join all the groups you want, by yourself, instantly
With this in mind, the admins decided it is time to make a change. There are ups and downs, Telegram is not perfect. But it sure is a lot better. All these changes took years, and many many hours of work. Thus, by sharing WhatsApp in Telegram, it is not good for the community as a whole.